PgAdmin3 1.2.2 Install on Win32 Disrupts Pg Service

From: "Steuckrath, Randy A" <Randy(dot)Steuckrath(at)unisys(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PgAdmin3 1.2.2 Install on Win32 Disrupts Pg Service
Date: 2005-09-23 00:29:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

System: Windows XP Pro SP2
Running Postgres 8.0.3 for several months with the embedded PgAdmin3
1.2.1 on the same machine with no problems. Postgres is configured to
start automatically as a service. I installed the PgAdmin3 1.2.2 which
requested a Windows reboot. I rebooted without stopping Postgres and
then couldn't restart the Postgres service. Manual restarts with pg_ctl
and postmaster commands complained that the user must not have admin
privilege. So, I changed the user's group to non-privileged status and
uninstalled PgAdmin3 1.2.2. Now, the Postgres service starts and runs,
PgAdmin3 1.2.1 works (and PgAdmin3 1.2.2 works remotely) but pg_ctl
status claims there's no postmaster nor postgres running. What might
have the installation of PgAdmin3 1.2.2 done to upset this installation?
What shall I try next to restore normal pg_ctl activity on the host?

Thanks for your consideration.

Randy Steuckrath
Unisys Corporation - Mission Viejo, CA