Re: 3rd Party Advocacy questions

From: "Javier Soltero" <javier(dot)soltero(at)hyperic(dot)net>
To: <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 3rd Party Advocacy questions
Date: 2004-09-16 22:12:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh,

Thanks for the info. I'll be posting the announcement on the news form
sometime this weekend, I think. One of the key highlights of the
announcement is the fact that our product manages Postgres, in addition
to including it. (Sounds a bit like a 'hairclub for men'-type of thing
:)). Aside from that, the fact that we're including 8.0 on all the
different platforms we support will hopefully help show people that 8.0
is a good, embeddable database for this kind of scenario.

As for a quote, I'm not good at soundbytes, but maybe by explaining what
we went through in a few sentences, you can get something that suits.

Basically, we have an IT management framework which we developed over
the last two years or so. The product is built on top of JBoss and
Tomcat and has high transaction volume and concurrency demands since
it's meant to support many agents reporting in data and many end users
browsing the data through our portal interface. We had originally
developed the product on Postgres/Linux, but because the platform was
meant to run on Win32 platforms, and Postgres at the time lacked true
Windows support, we had to opt for a Java Database solution for anyone
not using Oracle. The Java Database solution was a disaster. (I'll spare
you the details...) We became tired of making excuses for the lackluster
performance for customers using this solution, and decided to face the
daunting task of choosing an alternative. We spoke to commercial vendors
like Solid, and looked at Firebird and a bunch of others. Luckily, when
I went to check on PG's windows story, 8.0beta had just come out. The
porting effort was a breeze both because the product had been originally
devloped with Postgres, and also because Postgres' SQL engine is great
so anything we wrote after switching usually just worked. Our
performance tests quickly validated that Postgres on Windows was able to
handle the task, and even at a beta level seemed incredibly stable.
Having an equivalent experience with 8.0 on Linux and Solaris and being
able to embed the product in our various bundles basically sealed the
deal. Plus, we were able to use our own product to manage our built in
db, which rocks.

Hope that's helpful. Please let me know if you want any more
information, and thanks again for the info.

-javier