Re: Re: MySQL crashme test and PostgreSQL

From: Benjamin Adida <ben(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Matthias Urlichs <smurf(at)noris(dot)net>, Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <monty(at)mysql(dot)org>, <sinisia(at)mysql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: MySQL crashme test and PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-05-21 14:31:45
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

on 5/21/00 12:34 AM, Matthias Urlichs at smurf(at)noris(dot)net wrote:

> But what should I, or anybody else, do about it, in your opinion? Take
> the "unimportant" tests out? Invent a couple of inconsequential stuff
> PostgreSQL can do to balance the book? Repeat the "transactions=no"
> entry in the crash-me results file ten times?

Take the unimportant tests out. Absolutely. Explain why the important tests
are important. The MySQL team is responsible for teaching a generation of
hackers that "transactions aren't important, they're just for lazy coders."

The solution here looks extremely simple. The only risk, of course, is that
it makes MySQL look bad, which I understand could be an unwanted outcome on
your end.

-Ben