Re: logfmt and application_context

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Étienne BERSAC <etienne(dot)bersac(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: logfmt and application_context
Date: 2023-09-05 09:35:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 30 Aug 2023, at 14:36, Étienne BERSAC <etienne(dot)bersac(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote:

> ..what do you think of having logfmt output along json and CSV ?

logfmt is widely supported by log ingestion and analysis tools, and have been
for a long enoug time (IMHO) to be called mature, which is good. Less ideal is
that there is no official formal definition of what logfmt is, some consumers
of it (like Splunk) even support it while not calling it logfmt. If we add
support for it, can we reasonably expect that what we emit is what consumers of
it assume it will look like? Given the simplicity of it I think it can be
argued, but I'm far from an expert in this area.

--
Daniel Gustafsson