Weird system lockups occuring when JDBC throws error

From: "Jay Liu" <jliu(at)ic(dot)sunysb(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Weird system lockups occuring when JDBC throws error
Date: 2007-04-19 22:59:45
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi all,

I'm having some problems with my postgres installation on debian (Virtual
PC 2007)

Debian etch 4.0 (running 2.6.18)

psql (PostgreSQL) 8.1.8

contains support for command-line editing

Sometimes when the driver throws an exception, it seems to lock up the whole
machine. I run top on the console, and it stops. I have to reset it.

The problem is non deterministic, it seems to take a few errors before it
goes down.

Previously, I was running Debian 3.1 (sarge) with postgres 7.4 (also Virtual
PC 2007) and I did not have these problems at all.

How can I start to get to the bottom of this?

Thanks,

Jay