Re: Updated macOS start scripts

From: Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updated macOS start scripts
Date: 2017-11-15 21:40:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Nov 15, 2017, at 1:37 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
> Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I have tested this on 10.11.6. I had no trouble following the instructions
>> in the README and everything worked as described.
>> As far as I can tell, this patch has not yet been submitted to any commitfest.
>> I would mark it Read for Committer.
>
> Thanks for reviewing! Since you already did review it, I think we can
> probably skip the CF paperwork and just push it.
>
> One thing that needs to be figured out is what to do with the old osx
> scripts. My inclination is to remove that subdirectory in HEAD.
> However, I'd like to also stick these new scripts into the supported
> back branches, since the problem is just as real for any back branch
> as it is for v11. What I propose for the back branches is to add
> contrib/start-scripts/macos/ alongside .../osx/, keeping the latter,
> but adjust its README to note that those scripts are only for pre-10.10
> versions of macOS.

I am reasonably content with your earlier idea of not keeping support
for ancient versions of OS X, but if you want to do what you describe
above, I'd be happy to review that on my 10.6 box to verify that
everything works at least that far back. I don't have access to relevant,
pre-10.4 machines.

mark