Re: Allow vacuumdb to only analyze

From: decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow vacuumdb to only analyze
Date: 2009-05-27 16:31:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On May 23, 2009, at 9:51 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> vacuums everything. ISTM it'd be useful to be able to just vacuum all
>> databases in a cluster, so I hacked it into vacuumdb.
>
> I think you meant "ISTM it'd be useful to be able to just analyze all
> databases in a cluster".

Heh. "Oops".

>> Of course, using a command called vacuumdb is rather silly, but I
>> don't see
>> a reasonable way to deal with that. I did change the name of the
>> functions
>> from vacuum_* to process_*, since they can vacuum and/or analyze.
>>
>> The only thing I see missing is the checks for invalid
>> combinations of
>> options, which I'm thinking should go in the function rather than
>> in the
>> option parsing section. But I didn't want to put any more effort
>> into this
>> if it's not something we actually want.
>
> It does seem somewhat useful to be able to analyze all databases
> easily from the command-line, but putting it into vacuumdb is
> certainly a hack.
So... do we want a completely separate analyzedb command? That seems
like far overkill.

Arguably there are yet other things you'd want to do across an entire
cluster, so perhaps what we really want is a 'clusterrun' or
'clustercmd' command?

> (By the way, we don't allow C++ style comments.)
Yeah, was being lazy since they're just temporary TODOs.

> I wonder if we ought not to find a way to make pg_migrator
> automatically do some of these things after starting up the database.
Sure, pg_migrator is what started this, but it's completely
orthogonal to the lack of a "analyze everything" command.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org