Re: pg_stat_wal: tracking the compression effect

From: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Ken Kato <katouknl(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_wal: tracking the compression effect
Date: 2022-08-26 05:11:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 25 Aug 2022, at 12:04, Ken Kato <katouknl(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:
>
> What do you think?

I think users will need to choose between Lz4 and Zstd. So they need to know tradeoff - compression ratio vs cpu time spend per page(or any other segment).

I know that Zstd must be kind of "better", but doubt it have enough runway on 1 block to show off. If only we could persist compression context between many pages...
Compression ratio may be different on different workloads, so system view or something similar could be of use.

Thanks!

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.