Re: WORM and Read Only Tables (v0.1)

From: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Trevor Talbot <quension(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WORM and Read Only Tables (v0.1)
Date: 2007-12-18 17:12:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Dec 11, 2007, at 7:50 AM, Trevor Talbot wrote:
> I've actually been wanting this lately, for a couple reasons. One is
> reduced disk footprint, but the other is reduced I/O, similar to how
> TOAST helps with large fields now. (In my particular scenario, TOAST
> can't help due to small field sizes.)

I've wanted the ability to define different toast limits for a long
time (so for example you could say that any fields over 100 bytes get
toasted). I might be able to get sponsorship for this, if others are
interested enough to pony up $$ please contact me.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org