Multiple inserts without COPY

From: Mark Lubratt <mark(dot)lubratt(at)indeq(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Multiple inserts without COPY
Date: 2004-03-04 02:50:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello!

I have a routine in my application where I have the potential to
generate hundreds of inserts or deletes at one time. Right now, I
issue each insert and delete separately. I'm hoping there might be a
way of generating a single SQL statement to send to the backend for
each. The deletes look something like

delete from CL where CL_id = i

where i could be a list of several hundred integers. Again, right now
I iterate through the list.

The inserts might look like

insert into CL (CO_id, PE_ID) values (j, k)

where j and k are also integers and I could have a list of several
hundred pairs of j and k.

MySQL has a multiple insert feature where you simply append a bunch of
(j, k)'s separated by a comma. Does PostgreSQL have anything like
this? I was hoping I might be able to use COPY, but I see that's
really only for psql.

Are there any options? Or, do I simply send a bunch of queries?

Thanks!
Mark