Re: Php abstraction layers

From: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>
To: Antimon <antimon(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Php abstraction layers
Date: 2005-08-31 03:21:40
Lists: pgsql-general

IMO I think it really depends on what you want to do. The
pg_functions are the *most* robust and full featured. There are
problems with PDO (mostly function related at this point). That
being said, PDO is great to work with when you get into it, and learn
your way around it. If your project is pgsql only and will only be
pgsql only, I'd suggest using the pg_ functions. I use both
extensively, but only use PDO on projects where I want other
programmers to be able to extend my work with other dbms support. If
you're new to PHP db programming, PDO might not be the easiest way to
go, it's still a little rough around the edges. Good luck and let me
know if you need any help with either. There's also a pgsql+php list
you might want to jump on: http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/
subscribe and http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-php/

Regards,

Gavin

On Aug 30, 2005, at 8:00 PM, Greg Stark wrote:

> "Antimon" <antimon(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>

>> Thanks for the reply.
>> I checked new 5.1 pg_ functions and i wanna ask something else.
>> What do
>> you think about PDO? It is not an abstraction layer, just something
>> like wrapper. I thought as it supports both widely used dbmss, php
>> developers would focus on it more than pg or mysqli functions and
>> that
>> can make it powerful.
>> Would it be a good decision to use PDO instead of pg_ functions?
>>

> My understanding is that PDO is the way and the light. Use PDO.
>
> Unfortunately my project began before PDO saw the light of day, but
> I plan to
> migrate to it eventually.
>
> --
> greg