slow "select count(*) from information_schema.tables;" in some cases

From: Lars Aksel Opsahl <Lars(dot)Opsahl(at)nibio(dot)no>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: slow "select count(*) from information_schema.tables;" in some cases
Date: 2022-02-07 16:56:35
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi

Sometimes simple sql's like this takes a very long time "select count(*) from information_schema.tables;"

Other sql's not including system tables may work ok but login also takes a very long time.

The CPU load on the server is around 25%. There is no iowait.

This happens typically when we are running many functions in parallel creating many temp tables and unlogged tables I think.

Here is a slow one:

https://explain.depesz.com/s/tUt5

and here is fast one :

https://explain.depesz.com/s/yYG4

Here are my settings (the server has around 256 GB og memory) :

max_connections = 500

work_mem = 20MB

effective_cache_size = 96GB

effective_io_concurrency = 256