PostgreSQL memory usage

From: Alexander Pyhalov <alp(at)sfedu(dot)ru>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL memory usage
Date: 2019-10-16 16:29:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello.

After looking at my DBMS server for some time I've understood that I don't understand what was going on...

A server has 48 GB RAM. shared_buffers is set to 12GB, work_mem - to 32MB, pgbouncer in transaction mode is used to connect pool (pool size 80) to PostgreSQL 10.5 server.

I see that at some point several postgresql backends start consuming about 16 GB RAM. If we account for shared_buffers, it meens 4 GB RAM for private backend memory. How can we achieve such numbers? I don't see any long-running (or complex) queries (however, there could be long-running transactions and queries to large partitioned tables). But how could they consume 512* work_mem memory?

С уважением,
Александр Пыхалов,
программист отдела телекоммуникационной инфраструктуры
управления информационно-коммуникационной инфраструктуры ЮФУ