Re: Problem after replication switchover

From: Lars Arvidson <Lars(dot)Arvidson(at)unifaun(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem after replication switchover
Date: 2016-04-07 09:20:30
Lists: pgsql-general

> If it's just storing the logs, I doubt it's the cause of the problem. You can ignore my message. I had too much fun fighting with Gluster recently.
Hehe, hope you came through on top ;). Anyways, I added an md5sum calculation in the archiving script just to be able to verify that the files don't get corrupted. From what I can tell this far they have not been corrupted but I'll keep an eye on it.

> I reread your original full post, and the one thing that stuck out for me was "the clusters are now replicating from each other". I feel like that could be a problem. But someone more intimate with the replication might want to input on that.
Would be nice with some input on that. I do think it is the way to go for ensuring that two cluster are in synch when switching master (although I cannot remember the source of that information). Josh Berkus writes a bit about cycles in replication (http://www.databasesoup.com/2013/01/cascading-replication-and-cycles.html) and writes "temporary cycle is a legitimate part of a transition between two different replication setups".

> Other than that, I wonder if you just have a hardware problem with your storage.
We use fusionio ssd cards for storage. If there is something wrong with them I would expect more problems than I am currently experiencing, and more random problems...

/Lars