Re: Parallel build with MSVC

From: Christian Ullrich <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Parallel build with MSVC
Date: 2016-04-27 07:06:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* From: Michael Paquier [mailto:michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com]

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:09 PM, Christian Ullrich
> <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net> wrote:

> <screen>
> -<userinput>build DEBUG</userinput>
> +<userinput>build -c DEBUG</userinput>
> </screen>
> To build just a single project, for example psql, run the commands:
> <screen>
> <userinput>build psql</userinput>
> -<userinput>build DEBUG psql</userinput>
> +<userinput>build -c DEBUG psql</userinput>
> </screen>
>
> Why is that? Your patch just has a look at argv[0] to see if that's a
> debug or release build.

Sorry, forgot to fix that. I originally used Getopt in build.pl, then realized maintaining compatibility was more important.

Thanks for noticing; new patches attached; the second one is unmodified.

> +use File::Spec::Functions qw(splitpath catpath);
> This is present since at least perl 5.8, so that's not a blocker.
>
> vcbuild also supports /m. Wouldn't it make sense to have a environment
> variable flag for it as well? vcbuild has been replaced by msbuild in
> VS2010 but I would think that in back-branches this would have value
> for users still compiling with VS2008 or older, and those are still
> supported things.

Good point, but I have no installation of 2008 around, so I cannot test it. Perhaps there is someone around who could do that (just add the $msbflags as the first argument to vcbuild)?

--
Christian

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Support-passing-arbitrary-arguments-to-MSBuild.patch application/octet-stream 1.9 KB
0002-Support-parallel-build-with-MSBuild.patch application/octet-stream 1.3 KB