Re: PostgreSQL's handling of fsync() errors is unsafe and risks data loss at least on XFS

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anthony Iliopoulos <ailiop(at)altatus(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL's handling of fsync() errors is unsafe and risks data loss at least on XFS
Date: 2018-04-08 23:27:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Apr 8, 2018, at 16:16, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> We don't panic that way when getting IO
> errors during reads either, and they're more likely to be persistent
> than errors during writes (because remapping on storage layer can fix
> issues, but not during reads).

There is a distinction to be drawn there, though, because we immediately pass an error back to the client on a read, but a write problem in this situation can be masked for an extended period of time.

That being said...

> There's a lot of not so great things here, but I don't think there's any
> need to panic.

No reason to panic, yes. We can assume that if this was a very big persistent problem, it would be much more widely reported. It would, however, be good to find a way to get the error surfaced back up to the client in a way that is not just monitoring the kernel logs.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
xof(at)thebuild(dot)com