Re: Update hstore % Doc

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(dot)wheeler(at)pgexperts(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Update hstore % Doc
Date: 2010-08-06 22:21:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Aug 6, 2010, at 3:16 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

>> I noticed that the hstore docs still document the => operator instead
>> of %. This patch changes that.
>
> It looks to me like you are changing the examples of the I/O
> representation ... which did NOT change.

Hrm? The first few examples at the top? I find them confusing because there are no single quotes around them, so they look like the use of the deprecated => operator (especially the first two). Just look at:

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/hstore.html

Maybe that's standard in the docs, but it seems weird to me. It's a minor point, though.

We definitely need to document the `text % text` constructor rather than the deprecated `text => text` constructor.

And I hate to say it, but % is awful. Sorry, I know I'm probably opening a can of worms here, and I did finally push % after all the arguments, but coming back to it fresh it just looks bizarre to me. Maybe that ship has sailed, though, and I'm just being difficult.

Best,

David