Startup successful message, even on failure

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Startup successful message, even on failure
Date: 2005-06-29 07:11:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

A number of times when I've attempted to start the postmaster (using
pg_ctl start) I've gotten Fatal error messages (usually when I don't
have the shmmax/shmall settings correct) followed by a success
message (something like "postmaster sucessfully started").

I don't currently have any shell output saved showing this, but I
believe it's happened with PG versions as late as 8.0.3. If needed,
I'll try to replicate it (Don't want to reset my shmmax/shmall and
restart my laptop if I don't have to.)

Has anyone else seen this? Is this something that can be fixed for 8.1?

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com