Re: SSL/TLS instead of SSL in docs

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSL/TLS instead of SSL in docs
Date: 2021-06-30 20:46:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 30 Jun 2021, at 20:20, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> I am not in favor of this direction. I think it just adds tediousness and doesn't really help anyone. If we are worried about correct terminology, then we should just change everything to TLS.

I actually think SSL/TLS has won the debate of "correct terminology" for
describing a secure connection encrypted by a TLS protocol.

> If we are not, then saying SSL is enough.

I think consistency is the interesting aspect here. We already have a mix of
SSL, TLS and SSL/TLS (although heavily skewed towards SSL) so we should settle
on one and stick to it. The arguments in the NSS thread which led to this
pointed to SSL/TLS. If we feel that the churn isn't worth it, then we should
change all to SSL and perhaps instead just add TLS as indexterms to those
sections.

--
Daniel Gustafsson https://vmware.com/