Re: Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema objects with one command

From: Matthias Schmidt <schmidtm(at)mock-software(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema objects with one command
Date: 2005-01-28 20:17:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi everybody,

I thought a little bit on possible GRANT syntax for granting to groups
of objects.

In general, we have the following entities we can grant permissions to:

1. TABLE
2. DATABASE
3. FUNCTION
4. LANGUAGE
5. SCHEMA
6. TABLESPACE

since the requirement is to grant to all objects in a given schema
(hope this still holds true) we are interested in:

TABLE
FUNCTION
LANGUAGE

The others (DATABASE, SCHEMA, TABLESPACE) are basically ruled out. I
suspect that the majority of users like to grant to TABLE's and
FUNCTIONS most of the time rather than LANGUAGE (correct me if i'm
wrong).

This reduces the question to TABLE's and probably FUNCTION's. Now we
have two choices:

a) accept some sort of wildcard for the grant on table syntax:
GRANT ... ON TABLE schema.*

b) use something like CASCADE for the grant on schema syntax:
GRANT ... ON SCHEMA CASCADE
In this case the grant on schema's need to swallow the permissions
(SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE ...) which are intended for TABLES. This
seems to me
kind of strange.

therefore I vote for Syntax a)

What do you think?