Re: -HEAD on FreeBSD 6-CURRENT build failures

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: -HEAD on FreeBSD 6-CURRENT build failures
Date: 2005-01-28 20:27:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com> writes:
>

>>There looks to be an issue with gram.y as seen in the following 2 FreeBSD6
>>boxen:
>>

>>http://pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=herring&dt=2005-01-28%2018:33:43
>>http://pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=echidna&dt=2005-01-28%2018:30:01
>>

>The "issue" is that your make is broken: it's failed to regenerate
>gram.c from the recently updated gram.y.
>
>The impression I have gained from watching the build farm is that ccache
>is seriously unreliable --- the machines using it often show transient
>build failures that look like failure to update derived files.

The way buildfarm works is that it should always run on a clean set of
CVS files - i.e. there should no gram.c. We don't even bot6her with
clean, distclean, maintainer-clean and friends - we simply copy the
source directory tree for each run. The fact that Darcy's builds don't
show a call to bison indicates to me that his source dir (
/buildfarm/pg-buildfarm/HEAD/pgsql ) might not be clean for some reason
that is not clear to me.

Darcy, please blow that directory tree away and see if the situation
recovers.

cheers

andrew