reproducible database crash with simple sql command

From: <Christian(dot)Strobl(at)dlr(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: reproducible database crash with simple sql command
Date: 2008-05-08 09:22:21
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-bugs

hi all,

first i create a table
create table regions (id integer, name varchar);

then i want to set a default value for a column, e.g.
alter table regions alter column name set default 'bavaria';

at this point crashes the database with the message

PANIK: ERROR_STACK_SIZE exceeded

the rest of the message is unfortunately in german
then i have to restart the postgres-service manually
this error is very easy reproducible at my environment

is this a problem of my installation or can anybody reproduce this error
at his environment

thanks and greetings from munich
christian

p.s. os windows xp, sp2