Re: Special role for subscriptions

From: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Evgeniy Efimkin <efimkin(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Дмитрий Сарафанников <dsarafan(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Владимир Бородин <root(at)simply(dot)name>
Date: 2019-03-14 09:19:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 14 марта 2019 г., в 12:56, Evgeniy Efimkin <efimkin(at)yandex-team(dot)ru> написал(а):
>
> Hi!
>> I view that as the first step towards building a more granular privilege
>> system for subscription creation, and that was the second half of what I
>> was trying to say before- I do think there's value in having something
>> more granular than just "this role can create ANY subscription". As an
>> administrator, I might be fine with subscriptions to system X, but not
>> to system Y, for example. As long as we don't block off the ability to
>> build something finer grained in the future, then having the system role
>> to allow a given role to do create subscription seems fine to me.
> Do you mean something like `CREATE SERVER` with privileges for each server, which using in CREATE SUBSCRIPTION, very similar way used in foreign data wrapper?

Let's summarize.
To create a subscription into table X user must:
1. be a superuser
2. Or (have role pg_subscription_users
3. and be allowed to write into the table X)

4. Condition 3 can be replaced\extended by "be owner of a the table X".
5. Condition 2 can be replaced\extended by "have privileges for some server remote".

Which combination of authorization rules do we want?

IMHO 1,2,4 is sufficient.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.