Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?

From: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?
Date: 2013-12-06 13:19:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
> Yeah, this is part of a more general problem, which you have
> characterized correctly: What is fatal (or error, or warning, ...) to
> the client isn't necessarily fatal (or error, or warning, ...) to the
> server or DBA.

Thanks. In addition, #5 and #6 in my previous mail are even unnecessary for
both the client and the DBA, aren't they?

> Fixing this would need a larger enhancement of the
> logging infrastructure. It's been discussed before, but it's a bit of
> work.

How about the easy fix I proposed? The current logging infrastructure seems
enough to solve the original problem with small effort without complicating
the code. If you don't like "log_min_messages = PANIC", SetConfigOption()
can be used instead. I think we'd better take a step to eliminate the
facing problem, as well as consider a much richer infrastracture in the long
run. I'm also interested in the latter, and want to discuss it after
solving the problem in front of me.

Regards
MauMau