Re: Get the offset of a tuple inside a table

From: Pei He <hepeimail(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Szymon Guz <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Get the offset of a tuple inside a table
Date: 2010-09-22 00:37:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Szymon, Kevin,
The offset is the order of a tuple in a Sequential Scan.

What I want to do is, for a given key return the tuples that Index scan can
find, and return the rest tuples by a seq scan. So, I need to know which
tuples have been returned by maintain a bitmap, and to avoid return the same
tuple twice.

If I can know the offset of a tuple in the order of file scan, then I can
force the seq scan to skip it.

By ctid, can I know how much tuples are in a block, is it an constant?

I think a more general solution would be build a hash table on ctid.
What do you think?

Thanks
--
Pei