Re: automatic backup

From: "Massa, Harald Armin" <chef(at)ghum(dot)de>
To: Jefferson Bonamim - Glan Data Sistemas <jefferson(at)glandata(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, Danilo - Glan Data <danilo(dot)a(at)glandata(dot)com(dot)br>
Subject: Re: automatic backup
Date: 2010-11-19 13:44:57
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello Jefferson,

to answer your question:

a) PostgreSQL 8.0 was End-Of-Lived in 2007. You should start your
sales-pitch of updating to something more recent, as in PostgreSQL 8.4 or
9.0
http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.865

b) to setup an automatic backup on Windows at a client side with no local
DBA (or similiar qualified personel), your success will be better when using
pg_dump and "planned tasks".

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/app-pgdump.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308569 (assuming XP)

In a nutshell:

create .cmd files with
pg_dump -U <username> --format=C <databasename> > dumpfilename.dmp

schedule those .cmd files to run BEFORE any file based backup of the
dumpfilename.dmp files happens

(as an exercise: create a daily different dumpfilename via script, run the
same .cmd every day)

best wishes,

Harald

--