Re: libpq: system-wide root.crt

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Stephen Gran <sgran(at)debian(dot)org>, DSA list <debian-admin(at)lists(dot)debian(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq: system-wide root.crt
Date: 2010-10-14 00:58:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On fre, 2010-09-24 at 09:50 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> > I'm thinking, libpq could really use a global (and, for that matter, a
>> > per-user) configuration file, where you could set defaults for some of
>> > the things that you currently have to use environment variables for,
>> > e.g., sslmode.  And then you can configure the system-wide root.crt
>> > location there.
>>
>> We already have this - pg_service.conf - no?
>
> Indeed.
>
>> > Alternatively, if you think that that is overkill, then using an
>> > environment variable to configure this feature would be consistent with
>> > the existing mechanisms.
>>
>> So in this case, a "sslfallbackroot=/etc/somewhere" parameter, that
>> you could then stick in etc/pg_service.conf, or in any of the other
>> places you can specify it? The one thing I think would be really
>> needed for that to work is to support wildcard database names in
>> pg_service.conf?
>
> Yes.

What I gather from the discussion on this thread is that this patch
needs to be revised before it can be considered for commit, so I'm
going to mark it as Returned with Feedback in the CommitFest
application. Hopefully, it will be revised and resubmitted for the
then-current open CommitFest, which can always be found at:

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/open

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company