pg_depend explained

From: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_depend explained
Date: 2011-01-11 15:54:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Has anyone written a in-depth description on how to traverse the pg_depend tree?
The 'a' and 'i' deptype really makes it hard to figure out the
dependency order, a topological sort does not work.

My latest attempt involved trying to group by all objects connected to
each other via deptype 'a' or 'i', and replacing all such nodes in the
tree with the "source node", i.e. the node which according to the
topological order could be created first.

Am I on the right path, trying to "fuse" the internal/auto objects
together, replacing them with the top most object in the tree?
Or is there a simplier way to figure out the order in which objects
can be created?

I need a general solution, not a custom-made query for each regclass,
which is quite trivial but feels far from bullet proof, I want
something only relying on pg_depend, since it should be the safest
method of them all.

--
Best regards,

Joel Jacobson