Re: German translation bug

From: r d <rd0002(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: German translation bug
Date: 2011-01-12 13:31:33
Lists: pgadmin-support

Sorry, but server (EN) translates to Server (DE).
Host (EN) translates to Host (DE).
And BTW, most computing terms translate 1:1 English:Deutsch (es hat sich in
der Praxis so eingebürgert).

A server is a /role/ which potentially any device can assume, a /host/,
OTOH, is a big, "old-style" /computer/ like the IBM S-390, which dwells in
caves underneath banks and govt offices and communicates with the world via
SNA and 3250 terminals.

Supposing that you refer to the Menu File -> Add Server (english version)
and/or to the icon with the plug on the upper-left, I think that the
translation is correct.

If a change is to be made at all, may I suggest:

(GERMAN) Verbindung *hinzufügen*
(English) *Add connection*

... and the "Server" hierarchy in the tree pane should in this case be
renamed "Connections".

I also have the impression that there is a confusion/overlap in the GUI
between the "Add connection" and "Connect" functionality, and I tend to
think that the icon with the plug on the upper-left should "connect" to any
selected (in the tree pane) "Server" object, instead of "adding a
connection".

(I agree mostly with Harald)

Jauchz und Holladriööö!

:-) RD 0002