Re: pgAdmin III commit: Revert the previous change that introduced sysSetti

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III commit: Revert the previous change that introduced sysSetti
Date: 2011-02-18 14:47:03
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On 17 February 2011 19:28, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> No objections to that, but it does need to handle interoperability
> with older versions too. IOW, it needs to read/write booleans as
> REG_SZ values of "true" or "false", not REG_DWORDS. There may be other
> gotchas too - that's the one I was hitting though.

What about the Read() overloads? They currently work by passing a
variable by reference (in the C sense, by pointer), to an overload of
read. ISTM that it would be preferable to have variants with different
names that return variables by value. What do you think?

By the way, this isn't that much trouble. I've already finished with
the write() overloads. We're mostly using the inline wrapper functions
in sysSettings.

--
Regards,
Peter Geoghegan