pg_dump makes our system unusable - any way to pg_dump in the middle of the day? (postgres 8.4.4)

From: Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsaloli(dot)tech(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dump makes our system unusable - any way to pg_dump in the middle of the day? (postgres 8.4.4)
Date: 2011-02-24 23:38:51
Lists: pgsql-general

I read in the pg_dump man page that pg_dump does not block other users
accessing the database (readers or writers).

In practice, if I pg_dump our 100 GB database, our application, which
is half Web front end and half OLTP, at a certain point, slows to a
crawl and the Web interface becomes unresponsive. I start getting
check_postgres complaints about number of locks and query lengths. I
see locks around for over 5 minutes.

I've had to abort pg_dump as it made the system unusable.

Can I pg_dump without breaking the system?

Best,
-at