Re: Caution when removing git branches

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Caution when removing git branches
Date: 2011-01-27 17:31:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> The master branch can be removed the same as any other one - just
>> substitute master in place of REL9_0_STABLE in the above commands.
>> But why would you do such a nutty thing?  Worst case scenario looks to
>> me like you type the first of those commands and then go "oh crud".
>> And if any of our 19 committers were unaware of the hazards of
>> inserting random colons into their git commands, hopefully this
>  -----------------------------------------------
>> discussion has awakened them to the error of their ways.
>
> Yes, that was really my goal --- to point out that some git operations
> are not reverable.

That's true, but hopefully at this point it's clear that actually
getting rid of a branch permanently would require rather a LOT of
work, and that even if someone deliberately did their absolute best to
get rid of a branch, an experienced git user could put it back in less
than 15 minutes.

I actually think a more likely scenario would be: we deliberately
remove a branch - and then someone accidentally re-pushes it. But
since we have no plans to actually do any such thing, that risk also
seems more theoretical than actual.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company