Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-29 12:56:15
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> What happened,

I don't find that story very compelling because there are an infinite
number of ways to have high-availability not work if you start by
supposing that the person who sets them up doesn't test them properly
and verify that everything actually works as expected. You could do
all sorts of things wrong in that case.

How about this one? The administrator sets up a master and a slave.
She's heard about this new Hot Standby feature and so decides to
enable it on the slave just to play around with it. Subsequently, she
takes a better job at another company and they hire a new
administrator, who thinks the Hot Standby WAL may be causing a
performance problem on the master, so he switches wal_mode to archive.
Six months later the primary fails.

I think you can construct a scenario where just about any default
setting causes a problem, but I like the idea of having this enabled
by default, and I think it works fine if you just treat the case where
recovery_connections=on but wal_mode=archive as a LOG or WARNING
rather than an ERROR.

...Robert