Re: Streaming a base backup from master

From: David Blewett <david(at)dawninglight(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming a base backup from master
Date: 2010-09-03 15:53:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> IOW, what I'd like to see is protocol extensions that allow an external
> copy of rsync to be invoked; not build in rsync, or tar, or anything
> else that we could get off-the-shelf.

Personally, I would love to see protocol-level compression added.
(Yes, going over a compressed SSH tunnel works well, but in general
isn't user-friendly.)

Josh: we talked on IRC awhile back and you mentioned that CMD had
added this in Mammoth? Would you be interested in having someone get
that integrated back into the community?

David Blewett