Listen on IPv6 only

From: Dyonisius Visser <visser(at)terena(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Listen on IPv6 only
Date: 2011-03-09 12:58:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

hi guys

I am in the process of converting my network to IPv6 only (well, as
much as possible).
Since our own network has fully functional IPv6 connectivity, I should
be able to move all services that are used internally only, to IPv6
only.
Postgres is one of those services.

I could not find anywhere in the docs how to configure this.
However, the following seems to do the trick:

listen_addresses = '::'

This will make postgres listen on IPv6 only:

root(at)cajones:~# telnet 127.0.0.1 5432
Trying 127.0.0.1...

root(at)cajones:~# telnet ::1 5432
Trying ::1...
Connected to ::1.
Escape character is '^]'.

Might be an idea to add this to the docs.

--
Dyonisius Visser
System & Networking Engineer