btree_gist (was: CommitFest progress - or lack thereof)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: btree_gist (was: CommitFest progress - or lack thereof)
Date: 2011-02-08 03:46:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> wrote:
> Aha,
>
> Teodor sent it to the list Dec 28, see
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4D1A1677.80300%40sigaev.ru
>
> After a month I didn't see any activity on this patch, so I I added it to
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=350 Jan 21
>
> Now, I realised it was too late. Added to current commitfest.

I think this patch missed the deadline for the current CommitFest.
It's true that it was posted to the list in time, but it's just
madness to think we can do review in a meaningful way and get done in
a reasonable time if every patch that's ever been posted is fair game
to be added to the CommitFest at any point. I believe it's a
generally accepted principle that adding things to the CommitFest
properly is the submitter's responsibility.

That having been said, this looks like a fairly mechanical change to a
contrib module that you and Teodor wrote. So I'd say if you guys are
confident that it's correct, go ahead and commit. If you need it
reviewed, or if you can't commit it in the next week or so, I think
it's going to have to wait for 9.2.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company