Re: getTables() doesn't handle umlauts correctly

From: Samuel Gendler <sgendler(at)ideasculptor(dot)com>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getTables() doesn't handle umlauts correctly
Date: 2010-11-22 21:34:27
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>wrote:

> dmp wrote on 22.11.2010 19:54:
>
> I also tried the table creation in the MyJSQLView app. which
>> uses the jdbc, this morning and I just don't see it. The correct
>> table name is showing up in the public schema and also in the
>> information_schema.tables as shown by the app.
>>
>> I also tested the code directly and again the correct table
>> name is showing up. The only thing different is not on XP, but
>> with the same server and jdbc versions.
>>

> So this seems indeed to be a Windows issue.
>

>> Now you may wish to try just % or null for the tableNamePattern.
>> Perhaps something is going on with parsing of that parameter.
>> The API indicates that "a table name pattern; must match the
>> table name as it is stored in the database
>>

> getTables() does return one table, but the umlaut is garbled.
> Sorry for not being clear on this.

What is the output of Charset.defaultCharset() in those java processes? Are
you forcing things to UTF-8? I've had problems in the past with JVMs coming
up with surprising default charsets, forcing me to override the OS or
specify the defult charset with a system property to get things to work
correctly.