Re: Feature request -- export as select into stmts

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Julius Tuskenis <julius(at)nsoft(dot)lt>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature request -- export as select into stmts
Date: 2010-10-27 14:29:14
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 27 October 2010 14:08, Julius Tuskenis <julius(at)nsoft(dot)lt> wrote:
> 2010.10.27 15:22, Michael Shapiro rašė:
>>
>> Thom Brown has it basically right. I want to be able to take the results
>> of what is in the grid editor and produce insert stmts.
>
> Yes - this kind of tool would be handy in situation when while developing
> applications one uses pgAdmin and later there is a need to generate SQL
> script of changes. Now one is simply forced to write inserts manually (that
> is a bit annoying)...

I guess it also depends on how smart you want it to be. For example,
if you have a NOT NULL column without a DEFAULT value, which you
haven't included in your select statement, the inserts it generates
won't be valid, at least not for that exact table. But maybe that's a
bit of a corner case, and plus it might not be a problem, and the user
should probably know better anyway.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion