Re: Issues with two-server Synch Rep

From: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Issues with two-server Synch Rep
Date: 2010-10-12 02:17:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:

> > > That doesn't seem just a matter of code, it seems like a major design
> > > conflict.
> >
> > Yes. I had the idea of trying to fix this by allowing the standby to
> > retain old versions of entire pages that got cleaned up on the master,
> > until the transactions that might want to read the old pages were
> > gone. But that may be prohibitively difficult, not sure.
>
> I think you'd end up having a notion of a snapshot of block information
> (like a FS with snapshots) inside of postgres.
>
> Sounds like a lot of complexity to me, and the only benefit I see is
> moving bloat from the primary to the standby. Granted, that would be
> nice, but I would expect some costs aside from just the complexity.

I had this idea when HS was being initially implemented, and I saw two
problems with it.

.) Identifying block versions in buffers. Our XID based MVCC like scheme
would work, but we already have a block header which we would want to trim.

.) Effectively every block cleanup will have to create a copy of the block
because more often than not there's at least one transaction in the system,
and when it asks, we need to hand it the old version.

Regards,
--
gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company

singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | yahoo }.com
Twitter/Skype: singh_gurjeet

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device