Re: Suggested changes to Book pages

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Suggested changes to Book pages
Date: 2010-11-10 19:54:54
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/books/
>>
>> Suggested changes based upon feedback from publisher
>>
>> * Each book should have "Language: XXXX" as part of its metadata, so
>> people don't waste time looking at books not relevant to them
>>
>> * The books should be arranged by version, so we have Version 7, Version
>> 8 and Version 9.
>>
>> * "PostgreSQL Reference Manual - Volume 1-3" is actually the manual for
>> PostgreSQL 8.2, so we should mark that clearly to avoid confusion.
>>
>> * The Douglas' book is mentioned twice, for both versions. Nobody wants
>> to buy the first version anymore, so we should remove that.
>
> Did this fall through the cracks?
>
> I think marking version numbers for each book is a good idea, though I
> would be inclined to get more specific than 7/8/9.

Probably, as most of the webteam were in SF. I would point out though
(as this sort of thing comes up quite often), that just like the main
project we don't just start hacking on code on demand (unless there's
a bug). It's still a volunteer effort, so we have to rely on someone
having the time and inclination to work on it. Patches are, of course,
always welcome.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com