Re: [pgsql-general 2011-1-21:] Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nick Rudnick <joerg(dot)rudnick(at)t-online(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-general 2011-1-21:] Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)
Date: 2011-02-01 02:36:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Nick Rudnick <joerg(dot)rudnick(at)t-online(dot)de> wrote:
> * In this regard it is of interest in how far there are principal efficiency
> problems with the support of (deeply nested) object like structure by the
> backend, or if the backend may be expected to do this job not terribly worse
> then more specialized OODMS -- of course, I would be interested in any
> discussions of these topics...

I simply don't know what a more-specialized OODBMS would do that is
similar to or different than what PostgreSQL does, so it's hard to
comment. I don't immediately see why we'd be any less efficient, but
without knowing what algorithms are in use on the other side, it's a
bit hard to say.

> * The same question for doing rule bases on top of the PostgreSQL backend...

I'm not sure if you're referring to the type of rules added by the SQL
command CREATE RULE here, or some other kind of rule. But the rules
added by CREATE RULE are generally not too useful. Most serious
server programming is done using triggers.

> * For teaching at university courses, on the other hand, efficiency would be
> of lower interest, so there was an idea that there might be some (possibly
> toy example like) efforts to tune the frontend into this direction.

You're still being awfully vague about what you mean by "this direction".

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company