Re: Adding getrusage profiling data to EXPLAIN output

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding getrusage profiling data to EXPLAIN output
Date: 2010-10-01 01:51:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
> Attached is a patch to display getrusage output to EXPLAIN output.
> This is the patch I mentioned previously in
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-02/msg00684.php and
> it raises the same issues we were talking about then.

How much overhead do you have with "resource" option?
getrusage() calls for each tuple might have considerable overheads.
How much difference between (analyze) and (analyze, resource) options?

Auto_explain and pg_stat_statements will be also adjusted to the change
when the patch is acceptable, I was asked for "queries ordered by CPU times"
in pg_stat_statements several times. The getrusage infrastructure will
make it a real possibility.

--
Itagaki Takahiro