Re: Duplicate bugs (was Re: BUG #5547: not able to connect to postgres through the oracle using Linux ODBC driver for Postgres)

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Duplicate bugs (was Re: BUG #5547: not able to connect to postgres through the oracle using Linux ODBC driver for Postgres)
Date: 2010-07-09 13:28:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 15:26, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
>> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Craig Ringer
>> <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
>>> I wonder if there's any way to have the bug report form de-duplicate posts
>>> based on similar/identical text in sequential submissions.
>
>> Not without starting down the path of writing a full blown bug
>> tracker. The current form just assigns a number from a sequence and
>> then forwards the text to the mailing list. None of the contents are
>> stored in the database.
>
> It seems though that it must be very easy to hit "submit" twice, because
> we keep seeing these dups.  Is there anything the webpage could do to
> discourage that?  Maybe take you to a different page after submitting?

The code I have up on the new system will make that a bit better, I
think. But the best thing would be to store the contents of a bug
report in a table somewhere just to look for duplicates. We can
expire it after just a minute or so. That'll catch the *exact*
duplicates. It could catch partial ones, too.

I'll stick that on the TODO list for the new website ;)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/