Re: Trouble with COPY IN

From: Maciek Sakrejda <msakrejda(at)truviso(dot)com>
To: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
Cc: Samuel Gendler <sgendler(at)ideasculptor(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trouble with COPY IN
Date: 2010-07-20 11:06:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

I'd be willing to take a more in-depth look if you can minimize this
to a small, at-least-semi-reproducible test case. Ideally, something
that can be included in
http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/jdbc/pgjdbc/org/postgresql/test/jdbc2/CopyTest.java
(since I noticed the driver doesn't have any WITH BINARY tests).

If that's more trouble to you than it's worth, I'd try turning on
driver-level logging and see if that gets you anything, or look at the
traffic on the wire with something like wireshark to see if you're
seeing the network traffic you expect (from the sound of it, I don't
expect the problem to be there, but it's always nice to eliminate
things). A protocol reference is available (
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/protocol-flow.html#PROTOCOL-COPY
), but you're basically looking for the pattern CopyIn CopyData*
(CopyDone|CopyFail). If for some reason you see other messages
interspersed from the client or a repeated Copy{Done,Fail} from the
client, that could be a bad sign (although again, your server logs
suggest this isn't the case).
---
Maciek Sakrejda | System Architect | Truviso

1065 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Suite 230
Foster City, CA 94404
(650) 242-3500 Main
(650) 242-3501 F