getting list of columns from a query

From: c k <shreeseva(dot)learning(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: getting list of columns from a query
Date: 2010-08-22 17:27:52
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Hi all,
As I am using MS Access for a long time, many tools like ms access provides
a way to get the list of columns from a query. (using filed list in combo
boxes in ms access). But is it possible to get such list of columns from a
query where it is not known to the user, that which columns are defined in
the base 'SELECT' statement? How? I dynamically created SQL statements many
times this situation occurs where the columns are not fixed and we have to
get the list of columns from such a query.
Thanks in advance.

CPK