Re: Problem with streaming replication, backups, and recovery (9.0.x)

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with streaming replication, backups, and recovery (9.0.x)
Date: 2011-03-29 11:27:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 6:46 PM, hubert depesz lubaczewski
<depesz(at)depesz(dot)com> wrote:
>> Did you use recovery.conf to start standalone PostgreSQL? If not,
>> recovery doesn't check whether it reaches the recovery ending position
>> or not. So I guess no problem didn't happen.
>
> no, i don't use.
>
> hmm .. i am nearly 100% certain that previous pgs did in fact check if the end
> of recovery is reached.

Yes. In 8.4, that was checked only when starting recovery from the backup
(i.e., which includes backup_label and backup history file) without
recovery.conf.
But in 9.0, the behavior was changed so that only archive recovery (i.e., with
recovery.conf) checks that. IIRC, we don't have strong opinion about
this change.
We should revert, in order to make even crash recovery check whether it
reaches the ending location? Of course, even if we do that, your problem is
not solved at all. So I think that the right direction is to implement
the ability
to easily take a base backup from the standby, in 9.2.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center