Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add foreign data wrapper error code values for SQL/MED.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Shigeru HANADA <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add foreign data wrapper error code values for SQL/MED.
Date: 2010-12-26 20:27:11
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Proposed patch attached.  This adds what I believe to be the correct
>> incantations to errcodes.sgml and plerrcodes.h, and also corrects a
>> typographical error in yesterday's commit which I failed to notice
>> while reviewing.
>
> Hmm.  Even with the typo fixed, ERRCODE_FDW_UNABLE_TO_CREATE_EXECUTION
> seems pretty darn opaque.  Is it missing a word?  Can we rephrase it so
> people will have some idea what it means?

(looks at a draft copy of the spec)

Appears to be straight out of the spec. There's also some
incomprehensible (to me) language explaining what it's supposed to
mean. I think they're using the term "FDW execution" to mean
something along the lines of "an instance of grabbing data via an
FDW". Or something sort of vaguely like that. If I didn't know
better I'd think this had been deliberately obfuscated.

At any rate, I think rewording language straight out of the spec is
likely a bad plan.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company