Re: SQL/MED - core functionality

From: Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Shigeru HANADA <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL/MED - core functionality
Date: 2010-12-01 03:30:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2010/11/25 Shigeru HANADA <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp>:
> Hi hackers,
>
> Attached is a patch that adds core functionality of SQL/MED.  This
> patch provides:
>
>    "SQL/MED - file_fdw"       : FDW for external PostgreSQL
>    "SEL/MED - postgresql_fdw" : FDW for server-side file (CSV, TEXT)

I've tried SQL/MED with postgresql_fdw last night, and found myself
confusing the long setup procedure. A simplest way to use it AFAIK is:

1.CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER ... (or run install sql script)
2.CREATE SERVER ... FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER ...
3.CREATE USER MAPPING FOR ...
4.CREATE FOREIGN TALBE( ... )

From a user's view, this is very long way to see a simplest foreign
table. I know it is based on the standard, but I really want a
shortcut. Especially, I don't understand why CREATE USER MAPPING FOR
current_user SERVER <server> is needed for default use case. If you
forget CREATE USER MAPPING and do CREATE FOREIGN TABLE, it raises an
error. User mapping is useful if the local user and remote user should
be mapped but I imagine in most cases they are the same.
postgresql_fdw can tell the remote user by conninfo string, in
addition.

This is another topic, but it would be useful if CREATE FOREIGN TABLE
can omit column definitions since fdw usually knows what should be
there in the definitions. I some times mistyped the column names
between remote and local and resulted in fail on execution.

If these are discussed before, I apologize for noise.

Basically, I would love to see this in the next release. Good work!

Regards,

--
Hitoshi Harada