Re: SQL/MED - core functionality

From: Shigeru HANADA <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL/MED - core functionality
Date: 2010-12-01 05:53:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 12:30:46 +0900
Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> This is another topic, but it would be useful if CREATE FOREIGN TABLE
> can omit column definitions since fdw usually knows what should be
> there in the definitions. I some times mistyped the column names
> between remote and local and resulted in fail on execution.

The SQL/MED standard includes "IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA schema FROM
SERVER server" syntax which imports definitions of remote tables in
the specified schema into local PostgreSQL, and you can optionally specify
the list of target tables with "LIMIT TO table_list" option.

This syntax would make defining foreign tables easier, but it needs to
enhance both FDW API and core parser.

Regards,
--
Shigeru Hanada