Re: O_DSYNC broken on MacOS X?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: O_DSYNC broken on MacOS X?
Date: 2010-09-30 20:09:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Jayant Kumar did some benchmarking of InnoDB vs. PostgreSQL and PG
> came out 5 times faster.  The benchmark isn't very thoroughly
> described, but it turns out not to matter.
>
> http://jayant7k.blogspot.com/2010/09/database-speed-tests-mysql-and.html
>
> Apparently, the reason we're faster is that wal_sync_method =
> open_datasync, which is the default on MacOS X, doesn't actually work.

That might be true, but if you check the comments, Jayant replied to say:

@Andrew : I am running linux - ubuntu 10.04 - kernel 2.6.32-24. Linux
does not support fsync_writethrough
http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/TuningPGWAL.htm

So I don't think that invalidates his benchmark. Something else might
of course...

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com